Monday, 11 May 2015

Allegiant


Title: Allegiant  
Author: Veronica Roth 
Series: Divergent #3
GenresYoung Adult, Science Fiction,
              Utopian and Dystopia fiction
Pages: 554 pages
Publisher: Harper Collins 
Date: Published: 2nd January 2014
Edition: Paperback / Ebook
Source:  Buy for Kobo.. 
               Buy the Book..
               Add on Goodreads..
               Buy for Kindle..
               __________________________________

The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered - fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she's known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties and painful memories.  

But Tris's new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature - and of herself - while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice and love. 
             ______________________________________________ 

Review 

No, just, no. I do not understand what Veronica Roth was thinking when writing this book. Is it possible to give negative stars on a rating because this book would definitely get it. 

When I first started reading Allegiant I had high hopes. I couldn't with stand my excitement after divergent and the epic conclusion to Insurgent. But after the first few chapters my excitement turned into disappointment. It’s like she fell out of love with the series and just wanted it to end.

I hate having to write a bad review for a series which has just captivated me from the beginning. It was one of the best series’ I have read, it was just so different. Then along came Allegiant and ruined the full story, you can probably guess I am very angry. 

Don’t get me wrong the book has its moments of being ok, I don’t even think I can bring myself to say the word, “good”. Allegiant was not what I was expecting; maybe that’s why I feel so let down by it. I remember reading this blog post Veronica Roth wrote about Harry Potter. She stated that she wanted Harry Potter to be killed off because, “it would have showed the greatest act of sacrifice and love”. Am sorry but I have no idea what her deal is with thinking like that and killing people off. Getting yourself killed doesn't show real sacrifice, its nothings because in the end no one is ever truly happy. There are so many other routes to take especially when Allegiant was heading down a completely opposite path than that.

I understand why certain events had to happen. It was like in the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead, I actually thought she had lost the plot with the storyline she was taken, but she managed to turn such a dramatic event around. I was waiting for Veronica Roth to do the same but oh no, she just made the storyline worse, which I didn't think was possible.

I just cried for the last quarter of Allegiant. The relationship which I loved between Tris and Four was ruined. For the whole book they were so up and down, I just got so very confused with where they stood with one another. Their relationship was actually beginning to annoy me because they just didn't get on with it. I thought there would have been more of an intense relationship between them but I was proved very wrong. The story between them felt pointless just like the rest of the book. Veronica Roth made the storyline so unrealistic it just no longer made sense. Every characters traits and their personalities just seemed to change, nobody acted like they did in the first two books. Even in the real world people change but not by that much. 

I was expecting this big bad world outside of the city where everyone would be tested to their limits. But it just became this science experiment, which I struggled to understand, a love triangle with some other stuff thrown in to make one big pointless load of rubbish.

I just wanted the book to go back to how it was with all the factions. I was really looking forward to watching Insurgent in the cinema and reading the book on Four but now, I really don’t care about any of that. I have moved on from this series.

Once I finished the book, which was a struggle, I was left feeling empty, confused and frustrated; I just did not understand it. The only reason why I continued on reading this book to the end was, I wanted to know how it would end. I believed it could not get any worse, I had hope but all hope was thrown on to the ground and walked over, it was a waste of my time. Allegiant just annoyed me from the beginning. I am sure my family and friends became really annoyed with me from the amount of times I said, “This book it’s awful, boring and just stupid”. 

My advice would be, do not waste your time reading Allegiant, read Divergent and Insurgent then make up your own story of how it should end. She should be relisted as; #1 New York Times worst author.
Selina x