Wednesday, 29 July 2015

Beautiful Creatures

Title: Beautiful Creatures
Author: Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl
Series: Caster Chronicles #1
Genres: Young Adult  
Pages: 592 Pages 
Publisher: Penguin 
Published Date: 4 February 2010
Edition: Paperbook / Ebook
Source:  Buy the Book...
               Buy for Kobo...
               Add on Goodreads
               Buy for Kindle... 
__________________________________

Is falling in love the beginning . . . Or the end?

In Ethan Wate's hometown there lies the darkest of secrets.
There is a girl.
Slowly, she pulled the hood from her head. Green eyes, black hair. Lena Duchannes.

There is a curse.
On the Sixteenth Moon, the Sixteenth Year, the Book will take what it's been promised. And no one can stop it.

In the end, there is a grave.
Lena and Ethan become bound together by a deep, powerful love. But Lena is cursed and on her sixteenth birthday, her fate will be decided.

Ethan never even saw it coming...
______________________________________________

Review 

The first book in the series and unfortunately I have to say I didn’t really like it. It wasn’t what I thought it was going to be at all. I did want to like it because normally these are my kind of books, but I just couldn’t get into it at all.    

I thought I would have liked the story being told from Ethan’s point of view because he is an unexpected person. Your first thought would be, it would be told from Lena’s point of view however, the book being told from Ethan’s point doesn’t work for me. 

If it was told from Lena’s point of view I feel we would of learned and understood more about caster’s and their lives. This is why I feel I was so confused a lot of the time because I didn’t understand what was happening or why. We had to wait until Ethan understood and then I feel a massive part happened and past before you get the full epic feeling of it, which is such a shame. I think this series would of have had great potential and done so much better if a little more thought had gone into it.

There was many occasions throughout the book when I thought, “Yes, this when the book is going to take whole of me, this is when am not going to be able to set the book down and feel lost without it”.  But, it done what the book is famous for and confused me.    
I found myself having to re-read parts over and over again and it wasn’t because I loved it, it was because I just couldn’t understand what was happening.

The chapters to me were very long winded, a quarter of the book could have been cut away and the story would still have made sense. Another suggestion would be more chapters could have been added to spread out the crammed information which might have made it less confusing. I would have had breathing time to properly digest the information. 

What I did love about the book was how they choose such a unique setting compared to a more modern cities or towns in the south of North America, the southern accent is brilliant, I love it. But that is where the love for this book ends. I feel we never got to know any of the characters very well or their personalities. The book is way TOO LONG and just all jumbled up. At different stages throughout the book it kept referring to situations which occurred earlier in the book and you are expected to remember it. COME ON, the book is too long and goes at a snail’s pace how to do expect people to remember such boring events.